Replacing an Uploaded Order

Should you need to replace an order that has been previously submitted, follow steps 1 - 7 under Submitting Proposed Orders


After selecting the related document number, a Warning screen will appear indicating that there is an existing order for the same case and related document.   


To replace an order, click on Replace the order(s) radio button and select the check box for Replace the order listing the previously submitted order.  Click Next


Note:  An order cannot be replaced if the original order has already been routed to the judge.